Fwd: Re: SC - adults only feast serving idea / Dutch (NL) book

Gerekr@aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sat Jul 3 10:35:18 PDT 1999

- -Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>There's a stockfish found only off the coast of Southern Africa and
>Madagascar, which is a prime eating fish, and which in Afrikaans is called
>kabeljou, pronounced "cabble-yo".  The name is apparently derived from the
>Old Dutch (according to my housemate's book on S. African fish-species), but
>sounds _very_ similar to the Portuguese.   I'm wondering if there was
>cross-cultural wossname here, and if so, which way??

I wonder what the words literally mean in these languages.

About the cross cultural stuff -

In Welsh we call things as they look or sound sometimes....

Our word for Cod is "y penfras"  pen = head, fras (or bras) = fat, coarse,
rich, or luxuriant.  (y = "the" BTW)

So I guess you could say the Welsh for Cod is "the fat head"? ;-O

Anyway, I'm imagining that the names you're all talking about must have
travelled more because of trade than migration right?

Elysant
P.S. Penguin = "Pen" + "gwyn" = "head of white" in Welsh.