SC - help needed on knightly virtues/Ideals of Chivalry

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sat Jul 3 15:28:59 PDT 1999

Elysant wrote:

>I wonder what the words literally mean in these languages.

Kabeljau is the German name for cod and has come to mean "dried salted cod"
in several languages. Bacalao (Spanish) and bacalhau (Portuguese) also meant
originally just cod but has come to mean "dried salted cod" and later "dried
salted fish" in these languages seems actually to have come from the
language of the natives of Newfoundland: "Cabot him selfe named those landes
Baccallaos, bycause that in the seas ther about he found so great multitude
of certayne bigge fysshes ... which thinhabitantes caule Baccllaos."
(Richard Eden, Decades of Newe Worlde (1555).

>Anyway, I'm imagining that the names you're all talking about must have
>travelled more because of trade than migration right?

Yes. In the Mediterranean and other southern countries, almost all the cod
people ever saw was dried and salted, so it is natural that the names for
fresh fish came to mean just that.

Nanna