SC - Bread for a wedding feast...

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Sun Jul 4 19:08:49 PDT 1999

Weaver8002 at aol.com writes:

<< but  that sounds like a lot of work for a caravan, >>

Not particularly. Field kitchens were brought along on any major trip. More
to the point these peoples were until quite recently a migratory people and
generally carried everything they owned with them. Cooking would have been no
harder traveling to China and back than traversing Pakistan or the Kurdish
highlands.

<<and besides, I don't know  if that's a period way to go about your eggs!),

Not particularly. Almost without exception period middle eastern recipes
which used eggs either broke the eggs whole across the top of the dish or
added it on top in layers. Occasionally hard boiled chopped eggs or whole
hard boiled yolks were used

There is a large corpus of easily understood period (better yet-medieval)
middle eastern recipes so there is little or no need to use ethnic/regional
recipes or modern recipes. Both His Grace, Duke Sir Cariadoc, myself and
others have redacted large numbers of period Middle Eastern and Andalusian
recipes so there is an extensive volume of ready recipes to choose from.
Modern middle eastern food has gone through just as many changes as our own
cuisine since the middle ages. The use of ethnic recipes may lend some bit of
the exotic to a feast but does not make a feast any more period than using
Betty Crocker or Lean Cuisine would.

Although it cheers me to see a renewed interest in period middle eastern
studies, I am saddened by the fact that so many, if not the majority, of
feasts make no attempt to use period middle eastern food which I have found
to be even tastier than period European food. There are a handful of SCA
cooks who consistently produce period feasts of several cuisines which are
worth 10 times the price you pay for them. I suggest anyone who has not eaten
good period food to seek out the events these people cook at and find out for
yourselves what a special treat these foods can be. :-)

Ras