Bananas (was RE: SC - Hummus and Other Questionably Period Foods)

Michelle "TJ" Brunzie mbrunzie at dba-sw.com
Mon Jul 5 19:52:26 PDT 1999

Violente de San Sebastiano de la Frontera mentioned:
>> But this is where some of the best discussions and best recipes
>> come from.

>True, but (as a relative new-comer) I personally would rather avoid asking about
>things which have already been discussed to death.  Like bananas - I'm sure
>bananas have come up already - which I was wondering about ...

Well, this is one of the reasons that I started the Florilegium a number
of years ago. For a while I was putting information on whether various
foods were period in these files in the FOOD section:
food-msg          (99K) 12/14/93    History and descript. of various foods.
food2-msg        (126K)  5/21/96    More of food-msg.

Once I started creating files on specific foods, I've been putting info on the
origins of various foods in the file that most pertains to that food item.
For instance, for bananas, I would check this file in the FOOD section:
fruits-msg       (180K)  4/ 1/99    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.

There are some books that do discuss food origins and are often mentioned
and quoted here such as Waverly Root's "Food". Some of these are reviewed
and discussed in this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section:
books-food-msg    (50K)  4/23/99    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

Hope this helps.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: