Huevos con salsa- was Re: SC - Turkish Breakfast - OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 5 20:41:25 PDT 1999

> david friedman wrote:
> >
> > Taciunem Sanitatas, which is a 14th c. latin book based on an Arabic
> > original, has a picture of bananas by someone who has clearly never seen
> > one, and says they are grown in Sicily. Sicily had been Muslim, was
> > conquered by by Normans in, I think, the 12th c., but may still
> have been
> > to some degree culturally Muslim later.
>
> Offhand, do you recall the dates for which Sicily and [I think]
> Catalonia were, for practical purposes, one kingdom? King Fernando,
> etc.? That might be one explanation for Muslim influences on Sicily.
>
> Adamantius

Well, Sicily was Muslim from the 9th century.  Then conquered by the Normans
in the late 11th; Catalonia helped a rebellion by the local population in
the War of
the Sicilian Vespers (1280s?), and Sicily became part of the Aragonese
empire at that
time.  (Aziz Ahmad's _History of Islamic Sicily_ goes into much more detail
for the
earlier period than I've had time to read, but he uses a comforting mix of
Italian
and Arabic sources.)  So Muslim influence certainly predated the coming of
the
Catalonians.

Violente de San Sebastiano de la Frontera
"If you could do anything in the world...would you?"