SC - Re: "cruel food"

Rayne and Richard PRIDEelectric at centuryinter.net
Tue Jul 6 07:25:58 PDT 1999

Elysant asks:

>So, may I ask, what is the difference between Huevos con Salsa and Huevos
Rancheros.  Is it the same thing?

It can be. Huevos Con Salsa just means eggs with sauce- I usually use the
term salsa to indicate a Mexican chile flavored sauce, as differentiated
from garlic sauce, white sauce, etc.

Huevos Ranchero is a (more) specific recipe with certain specified
ingredients, much like Buffalo Wings are a specific cooking sequence for
wings, while Hot Wings might include Buffalo Wings along with a zillion
other variants of spiced chicken wings.

The reason I was using Spanish to describe the items was that it gives the
reader a mindset, thinking about Mexican foods rather than a cassoulet, for
example. Huevos Ranchero could simply be translated as Rancher's Eggs, but
you might think I was talking about a chicken farm.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour