South Western dishes was Re: SC - Huevos con salsa-

snowfire@mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Tue Jul 6 13:41:34 PDT 1999

- -Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>> Tamales     The sweet version of these are a tradition at Christmas in West
>>             Texas.  Where do they originate?  I was wondering if perhaps the
>> 	    cooking method of rolling the meat or raisins etc. up in corn
>> 	    meal an then wrapping and boiling it in corn shucks might be
>> 	    quite old?
>>
>I have never seen a sweet version of tamales. What's it like?

SWEET TAMALES

Yield: 3 dozen

1 pound masa harina			1 cup raisins
1/2lb lard				1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder		1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 tablespoon salt			1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup chicken or pork broth		1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup brown sugar

Mix masa, lard and baking powder together until a small portion (the size of a
pea) floats in a glass of cold water.  Add the rest of the ingredients to dough
and mix thoroughly.  Place two teaspoons dough in the middle of corn husk,
spreading towards top end and fold over bottom end.  (the cut end of the corn
husk is used as the top and the slim, pointed end as the bottom.

Repeat until all masa filling has been used.

Steam cook tamales by placing them upright on folded end in steamer.  Place
husks or foil on top; cover lightly and steam 2 - 3 hours.  If no steamer is
available, use a large cooking vessel such as a cold pack canner.  Line bottom
with foil, as the husks scorch easily.  Place tamales on rack of pan inside the
cooker and put a tin can, which has both ends opened, in the center.  stack
tamales around can and pour four or five inches of water in cooker.  Steam 2 - 3
hours tightly covered.  Tamales are done when one can be rolled clear and free
of the husk.

Source:  Seasoned with Sun: Recipes from the South West.  The Junior League of
El Paso, Texas, Inc.

Elysant
(this is a long way from Welshcakes methinks! ;-))