SC - Cheesy question

Michelle "TJ" Brunzie mbrunzie at dba-sw.com
Tue Jul 6 16:11:04 PDT 1999

Elysant asks:

>I wonder then if anyone has another recipe for Sweet Tamales that would be
period - as its seems to be such an old dish.  I'd like to compare the
modern
recipe I posted with a more ancient one - if possible.... <

I would rather doubt it, since refined sugars in any form including honey
(bees are Old World imports- becoming extinct in the US) are very rare. Of
the ingredients you listed, I think only the mesa harina and the salt were
available in pre-Columbian America, although there might have been some
cross-over in late period, just as we have some in Europe. A possibility
might be a fruit-filled tamale, since they were a festival food, but I think
the meat was the special treat for the festival.

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig