SC - Cat

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Tue Jul 6 19:37:00 PDT 1999

I have other book about the French abbatoirs and their uses. "Bètes a
manger", by Colette Mechin. Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to
try to get a copy of Noelie Vialles. This is going to be a "collective
letter", since I am going to answer to several people in the same post.
About Savonarolas text: "cosse" means for me things to eat, not shell.
In my translation (I have Italian grandparents and studied Latin some
years) the title should be translated as "Booklet of all things which
are edible: a Organization of Dietary Habits in the 15th century". But I
dont´t understand when you writes about the "author is referring", do
you mean Savonarola or Nystedt?
Because this book is the facsimile edition of the 15 th century
manuscript. Nystedt wrote only the forword and add notes and a glossary.
About the other text, I did a misstake when I posted to the list the
names on the cover. This is not a Spanish manuscript, without an Italian
manuscript and the Spanish name, Rodrigo de Zayas, was the one who did
here the same job as Nystedt in the other one. He wrote the forword and
the notes. The Italian manuscript is included here, dated 1593, in
Florence, and written by Stefano Francesco di Romolo Rosselli, a
patissiére, perfumemaker and doctor. In this French edition states this
manuscript is transcribed and translated.
Thank you very much for your suggestions about primary sources.
And mylord Ras, what kind of curious recipes you want? This book I
mentioned, "Unmentionable Cuisine" is really a goldmine. But I should be
happy to share with you my treaures of "unusual recipes".
And by the way, I hope that Elysande told you the guinea pig is
inexistent (or non edible) in Uruguay, but edible in Paraguay,
Venezuela, Colombia and other Latinamerican countries. But as I
explained to Elysande, we, poor Uruguayans, have only two merits,
worldchampions in soccer 1930 and 1950, and the blandest and most boring
cuisine in South America, only big chunks of meat with salt. No spices,
no garlic, no bean, no chiles, meat and pasta, a heritage from our
Italian and Spanish grandparents.
(By the way, I am actually raised by German nuns, my childhoods food was
yet more boring, sauerkraut and sausages, strudel and knödel.
Good night, my friends, its dawn here in Stockholm and I must have some
sleep.
Yours
Ana
- --