SC - Horsemeat, was Re: "cruel food"-

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 13:33:53 PDT 1999

I am going to get Heinleins book at once. But you know, the conception
of the eating or sharing the flesh of your enemy or of your kind is very
old, as I told also in the tribe in Nouvelle Guinée.
The Aztecs eat the heart of their enemies, to have their strenght and
their courage.
The French writer and critical Roland Barthes and the French historian
Rene Girard wrote several books about the topic, how the Eucharisty was
experienced by the Catholics as a "ritual cannibalism".
The Protestants, instead, see the Eucharisty as a symbolical thing.
We, Catholics, believe in the Transsubstation, the oblat become the
flesh and the blood of Christus.
Yours
Ana L. Valdés

Jeff Gedney skrev:

> > From: "ana l. valdes" <agora at algonet.se>
> >
> > Its very interesting, because it starts a hole new topic I am very
> > interested on, cannibalism.
> <snip>
> > Since the most of players were catholic upperclass youngsters, the
> > Catholic Church was due to come out with some explanation. Were all
> > these people in mortal sin? The Church made a wonderful rethoric peace
> > and state they were having a communion, because the souls were gone from
> > the flesh and they ate their relatives. It was a communion and all were
> > forgiven their sins.
>
> Interesting - - in light of the view (that many biblical scholars) have that the Last Supper was a symbolic recreation of a Sumerian funereal feast. Seemed that when a Sumerian hero or king died, all the people shared a bit of the flesh, so that the atributes that made them what they were could be passed on, and not lost to the people. I think this relationship between these ancient rites and the Eucharist were one of the themes that Robert A. Heinlein explored in "Stranger in a Strange Land"
> Grok that?
>
> brandu
>
>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                !
>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                !