SC - Horsemeat, was Re: "cruel food"-

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 19:19:21 PDT 1999

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> Cousin, my love, read again. Wendy's wasn't serving horse, they were gigging
> the other fast food places which were.
>
> Phlip

That's possible, but I don't recall any specific references that make
that interpretation clear. All I can recall on the matter was McDeath's
claim that their burgers are "made from 100% pure beef", which is
basically saying nothing at all. Bearing in mind, for example, that in,
what, the late 70's (?) or so, there was an earthworm-protein-supplement
scare in connection with McOffal's, among the various other urban
legends and other Known Facts. Yes, the beef that's in there is 100%
pure, but what about the other stuff that's in there???

There seems to be equally viable documentation for the claims that
McOnerous raises their own cattle for their beef, and that they reject
more than the mainstream U.S. beef cattle industry, on somewhat higher
self-imposed standards. As usual, the reality probably lies somewhere in
between the extremes.

But as I say, people may be reading more into the Wendy's ad than was
intended by the Creative Director at their advertising agency.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com