SC - Verjuice

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Jul 8 06:51:22 PDT 1999

In a message dated 7/7/99 11:58:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
swbro at mail.telis.org writes:

<< As the season for green grapes approaches, I would like to ask if anyone
has
 a receipe for verjuice?  >>

As a point of interest, the lady who runs Maison Rive at Pennsic (Honour
Horne-Jaruk is her mundane name; can't thinkof the SCA one right now) is
doing some market research on the Rialto as to whether it would be worth her
time to use a large amount of windfall crabapples to make verjuice to sell at
the War.  A friend has discouraged her, saying that there are probably only a
dozen people in the SCA who know what verjuice is, and only half of them
might buy any.
I have reassured her that pretty much everyone on SCA-Cooks knows what it is,
and many might be interested, presuming they don't have other sources (my
only source is a specialty foods store, which wants $15 for a jar of perhaps
less than a quart).  I'd certainly be interested in something cheaper, as
long as the quality is decent.

Brangwayna Morgan