SC - Re: horse recipe 1581 and the tabou of the horseeating

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Thu Jul 8 18:25:31 PDT 1999

- --- H B <nn3_shay at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg"
> <rygbee at montana.com> wrote:
> > Yes, my husband has a used copy of the 2-volume
> OED (last edition)
> > with 4 pages to a page.  I believe he paid about
> $75 for it.
> > Raoghnailt
> > Stan Wyrm, Artemisia
> > rygbee at montana.com

Good price.  I got my copy as a free bonus for
signing up to the Book of the Month club.

> I am curious -- I was very, VERY lucky this year at
> our Friend of the
> Library book sale (where you can usually pick up a
> Britannica or World
> Book for a buck a book, if you can find all the
> boxes with all the
> volumes), to find a 1937 OED, 10 volumes, $10, can't
> beat that with a
> stick -- but what more is there in the later 2nd
> edition that is a few
> more volumes?  Is it more words, newer words, more
> text referents, all
> of the above?
>
> -- Harriet

I am surprised that they only charged $10.  I have
seen the 1937 OED in Antiquarian Bookstores for over
$1000.  It is considered to be the best version of
the OED.  And yes, the new edition has more current
words.  And it is in a more compact format.  Smaller
type, etc.  I am not sure, but I remember hearing that
some of the more obscure words were eliminated, but
I could be wrong about that.

Huette