SC - Raw Oysters

Kappler, MMC Richard A. KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil
Fri Jul 9 04:52:42 PDT 1999

>> Very interesting, but would eating horsemeat not have been strictly
>> prohibited at this time by the Church? >>
>
>Not really. The Reformation was well under way  by this time in Germany.
>Think, Luther, Huss and many others.

I know that, but Iceland was fully Lutherean by 1551, when the last Catholic
bishop was beheaded, yet the Church prohibited the eating of horsemeat for
at least 250 years after that.

My information that the eating of horsemeat was strictly prohibited in
France until 1811 comes from the Larousse Gastronomique. When the French
began to eat it, it was sold in special stores (chevalines) by special
horse-butchers to avoid suspicion that it was being passed off as beef.

I´m really curious to know what the situation was in other countries. Was
the eating of horsemeat actually prohibited by law or by the Church?

Nanna