SC - Bison at Pennsic

Melissa Martines mmartines at brighthorizons.com
Fri Jul 9 09:42:13 PDT 1999

As I understand it, it isn't using the water, it is what happens when you
try to dispose of that much water all at once.  Swimming pools and such
fill slowly, but empty quickly and leave large marshy areas behind.  We
watched an encampment across from us dig a large hole, line it with
plastic, and fill it with water a couple of years back. When they were
done, they pulled the plastic out, and filled the dirt back into the
hole, without doing anything with the water.  We commented that that
ground would be marshy for a long time to come, and future campers would
not appreciate the efforts of this group.
	Another group of friends of mine had a secret swimming pool (children's
wading pool) in the back of their camp.  They left the water running a
bit too long for the fill, and the fellow who woke up with his tent
flooding from the overflow could probably tell you why the rules are like
they are now.

	Don't get me wrong, I love to soak in lots of water, especially if it is
warm and has air jets (and not from bean-eating bathers, either) but I
can appreciate the problems encountered by the camp staff with the
aftermath of such exercises.
	Christianna