SC - lamb balls revisited again.

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 04:21:42 PDT 1999

I'd sure like to know what source this came from.....I don't know anything about
the chinese part but the Viking part seems doubtful.

The semantic step from 'ska/ol'* to 'skalle' (sw. 'skull') doesn't seem too far
fetched, can't remember the icelandic word for skull though, I think that would
be closer to the Viking word since swedish has changed a lot over the centuries.

I've never ever, not at Birka or anywhere else, seen it mentioned anywhere that
Vikings used skulls as goblets or even kept heads of their victims as trophees.
Archaeological findings suggest that they used glasses to some extent, shaped
like an upsidedown cone, since they were traders besides being farmers and
explorers it seems like the better bet.
The only time I can think of skulls being used would be for some ritual offering
to the gods.

*: a/o is an a with a small circle above it.

Angus MacIomhair.