SC - Fw: UNIVERSITY

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Jul 10 06:44:07 PDT 1999

Dahling,
	We covered this in my Old English classes a couple of years back,
with the instructor who was working on a book about medieval dirty jokes.

The answer is (drum roll please): an onion

'Lainie
- -
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, margali wrote:

> ok, i GIVE UP, i FOUND THIS ON A DISK OF OLD EMAIL, AND i
> CAN'T REMEMBER THE ANSWER...MARGALI
>
> Kathleen M Hogan wrote:
> >
> > --------- Begin forwarded message ----------
> >
> > Here's a riddle from the "Exeter Book", an 11th century book written in a
> > monastery, although that's hard to tell sometimes, by the subject
> > matter...
> >
> > I am a strange creature, for I satisfy women...
> > I grow very tall, erect in a bed,
> > I'm hairy underneath. From time to time
> > A beautiful girl, the brave daughter
> > Of some fellow dares to hold me
> > Grips my reddish skin, robs me of my head
> > And puts me in the pantry. At once that girl
> > With plaited hair who has confined me
> > Remembers our meeting. Her eye moistens.
> >
> > Can you guess? Remember, this was written by monks....

Laura C. Minnick
- -
'A Vaillans Coeurs Riens Impossible'
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731