SC - Re: "cruel food"

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sun Jul 11 18:47:56 PDT 1999

Recipe for Limoncello (from Fine Cooking - March 97)
makes 3 quarts

15 lemons
2 bottles 100 proof vodka (750 ml each)
4 cups sugar
5 cups water

    Scrub lemons, using warm water and a brush, to remove any wax or
pesticide residue. Remove zest from lemons using a vegetable peeler. Avoid
including the white pith, as this adds bitterness. Add the zest to half of
the vodka. Wait 40 days and then add second half of the vodka and sugar
syrup. Sugar syrup is made by combining the sugar and water in a saucepan,
bring to boil and cook about 5 minutes. Wait another 40 days then strain out
zest and bottle. Can be stored at room temperature, but keep a bottle in the
freezer for serving.

    I just sampled my own batch, and at 0 deg. F. it is still liquid and
very good. A friend tells me that in Italy they sell something like
cake-type donut holes dipped in limoncello. Sounds tasty. I have no
documentation on this recipe. It seems fairly modern. I imagine that a
version with brandy and honey was an earlier variant.

               Griffith Allt y Genlli, Blak Rose, East
               Bob Newmyer
               E-mail: rnewmyer at epix.net
               Web Page: http://home.epix.net/~rnewmyer

 "Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage"  Anais Nin