SC - success!

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jul 12 10:51:53 PDT 1999

Well, I servived the XXth Ansteorra anniversary event.  There were 2
entries in the subtlty contest(mine and one other)  I found it ironic that
the sugar plate I worked on for a month didn't get nearly the complements
as the swan I carved out on site in 15 minutes.  I made the loaf of bread
and the neck ahead of time using a period recipe from "To the King's
Taste".  I did it for the person in charge of the judges luncheon to use to
hold his butter as a centerpiece.
My greatest accomplishment however, was a lady in our camp who has forever
insisted on not eating anything I cook that contains a raisin, date, or
fig.  I made custard tarts using a recipe from "Take a Thousand Eggs" and
there were dates in the bottom of the tart shells, under the custard.  She
ate the whole thing, said how good it was and then asked what the
ingrediants were.  She is now prepared to at least TASTE my next date,
raisin or fig experiment.:-)  I sent some of these over to the dessert
sideboard but I couldn't go with them so I don't know if anyone else liked
them or not.
I thought the Lombard Chicken Pasties were quite edible cold but were
better warm.
The sausage and egg dish from Pley Delit was so good everyone wants me to
do it again at home.  And the pepper sauce was better than A-1 any day!
I really enjoyed having period food at the campsite and I think everyone
else did too.
On another food related note, there was some pretty good, period, middle
eastern foods at a vigil Fri. night and a lady with a food entry in the
general A&S competion that I believe was Hebrew but I could be wrong.
If anyone out there has more details, I would love to hear.  There was so
much going on, I just didn't get to be everywhere I wanted for as long as I
would have liked.
gwyneth