SC - primary sources

Chris morrisc at sitta.uwstout.edu
Mon Jul 12 19:48:08 PDT 1999

> Ooooh, cheese bread! One can never have too many recipes for that (or
> anything else :-) )!  Please, please??
>
> -- Harriet

Start with a basic bread recipe (makes 2 loaves).  I used:

2 cups of water about 90 degrees F
1 teaspoon of yeast
2 Tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons salt
5 cups of flour

Dissolve the sugar and the yeast in the water.  Stir in a couple cups of
flour and the salt.  Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough forms a
ball.  Turn out on a floured surface.  Knead until smooth and elastic.  Add
flour as necessary.

Let rise until doubled.  Punch down and divide.

Now for the cheese part:

cube 1/2 pound of cheddar or provolone or etc.  (I like approx.1/2 inch
cubes or a little smaller).
Flatten one of the pieces of dough.  Place 1/4 of the cheese cubes in the
middle third of the dough.  Fold over one of the outer thirds.  Place 1/4 of
the cheese cubes on the folded dough.  Fold over the remaining third.  Shape
the loaf and place it on a greased baking sheet or in a greased tin.  Repeat
for the second loaf.

Allow to rise until doubled.  Bake in pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F for
50 minutes or until done.

Some of the cheese will weep out, but if the loaf is formed properly, the
cubes will expand and melt leaving cheese lined cavities in the bread.

For onion cheese bread, I chop up and sauté a bunch of green onions to be
added with the cheese.

My wife gave me The Italian Baker for my birthday and there are some lovely
looking cheese bread recipes I'll be trying in the near future.

Bear