SC - primary sources

Holliday, Rachel {DISC~Welwyn} RACHEL.HOLLIDAY at roche.com
Tue Jul 13 00:49:34 PDT 1999

Harriet commented:
> Oh, READING it -- now that may well be more effective in actually
> digesting the contents than merely downloading the whole damn thing,
> which it pretty much what I started to do when I first found it.  Well,
> only the interesting stuff; you know, the files that I thought might
> conceivably contain stuff I'd like to know.  I don't think I've found
> one yet that doesn't fall into this catagory.  But I quickly realized I
> had vastly underestimated the scope of the project -- how big is the
> Florilegium now, Stefan?

Thank you for the compliments on the Florilegium. I hope you read fast
if you want to read all of it. :-) Not only do I have a slight headstart,
since I think there are something over 1200 different files but I'm
currently adding ten to twenty new files per month. The size of all the
files in Word format only is about 40 Mbytes.

Just to give an idea of the update rate on the current files, here is
the log for the last week in June:
taverns-msg       (27K)  6/30/99    SCA and period taverns.
inks-msg          (42K)  6/30/99    Period and SCA inks for calligraphy.
garlic-msg        (30K)  6/30/99    Medieval use of garlic. Garlic storage.
coffee-msg        (79K)  6/30/99    Coffee and coffee-type drinks.
charcoal-msg      (18K)  6/29/99    Use and making of charcoal in period.
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of the
                                       candying process by Alys Katharine.
Pavilions-101-art (16K)  6/28/99    "Pavilions 101" by Lady Giovanna Theresa
                                       Battista di Firenze.
wafers-msg        (16K)  6/28/99    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
tomatoes-msg      (18K)  6/28/99    Tomatoes in period.
sundials-msg      (31K)  6/28/99    Sundials, making sundials.
salt-msg          (30K)  6/28/99    Medieval salt production and use.
gloves-msg        (24K)  6/28/99    Gloves and Mufs. making gloves. Referances.
fd-Iceland-msg    (17K)  6/28/99    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
capers-msg        (13K)  6/28/99    Use of capers in medieval food.
p-Engsh-coins-lst (17K)  6/25/99    A list of period English coins
                                       by Kestrel of Wales.
Germany-bib        (5K)  6/25/99    A bibliography on German medieval history
                                       by Erilar.
Livres-rev-art    (12K)  6/25/99    A review by Martha Carlin of a book about
                                       the history of medieval cookbooks.
hose-msg          (76K)  6/24/99    Hose and leggings.
rose-syrup-msg    (10K)  6/24/99    Making rose syrup. It’s uses. Sources.
Shield-Balanc-art (10K)  6/23/99    "How to Balance your Shield to YOU!"
                                       by Master Sir Anluan Trelaine.
coronets-msg      (25K)  6/22/99    Medieval coronets and crowns.
broths-msg        (25K)  6/22/99    Broths in period recipes. Substitutions.
aspic-msg         (30K)  6/22/99    Notes on aspic, a meat-base gelatin.

This is excerpted from the -updated-files file which is found in the
IMPORTANT STUFF section. This is a good way to find out which files that
you might be interested in have been updated. There are some web services
that can be set up to automatically alert those who want when certain
sections of you webpages have been changed. I have not implemented any
of these yet, but may do do in the future, especailly if there is interest.

I'm always looking for new articles or collections of messages from
other newsgroups and maillists. I can barely keep up with the few that
I am on.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: