SC - tagine?

Robert Gonzalez robgonzo at cwix.com
Wed Jul 14 13:37:06 PDT 1999

>From my research, Cholent was originally mentioned in the Talmud as Hameem.
 In some parts of the Sephardic world it is called Dafina or T'fina.  It is
basically Sabbath stew.  The universal ingredients is meat.  Grain is
another, but though the type differs per area.  Europeans usually use
barley and Middle Easterners use rice.  Beans is also a faily common
ingredient.  Some places put in Kishka which is similar to Haggis and other
places put in sausages of various types.  Potatoes and other root veggies
seem to be in their too. In Sephardic countries they also put eggs in the
pot to hard boil.  Everything is slow cooked overnight.

WHile I grew up in an orthodox Jewish home, I only got to eat cholent when
we visited my grandmother or other relatives.  My mother is allergic to
beans and therefore never made it at home.  Now that I have an allergy to
barley, the only time I eat cholent is when I am visiting Sephardic friends
of mine who make Dafina because they make it with rice instead of barley.