SC - butter?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Jul 14 22:33:53 PDT 1999

Anne-Marie commented:
> also, its important to realize (we all know this already, right?) that
> the jar method isn’t how medieval people did it, right? We see lots of
> medieval illos of people (almost always women) churning butter.

However, the butter churn doesn't seem to be the method of choice for
all medieval cultures, either. I seem to remember comments here earlier
that the Norse stirred it in bowls.

For some more info on period butter and on butter making, check this
file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:
butter-msg        (91K)  6/ 2/99    Period butter. Making butter. Butter churns.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****