SC - Rose-Hips

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Jul 16 21:18:11 PDT 1999

In my experience, Optical Character Reading is just _one_ part of the
work. The much more important part is proof reading. I suppose that
there is _no_ OCR software that will suspend you from proofing the
results by comparing word by word and letter by letter the OCR-text and
the printed text. I second Ben's opinion: If the printed source is very
clear, recognition errors will be scarce. But still they are there. So
watch out for 'scannos', as Jim Marchand used to say.

Another point is pagination and line breaks. To quote an electronic
source it is important to have some system of reference. In most cases
this will be by page and line of the printed source or by numbers of
textual elements like recipes. So while proof reading you could insert
the information about page and line breaks or number of recipe.

We are a bit in the same situation when Cassiodor and his monks in the
Middle Ages began to copy the old manuscripts. About Cassiodor it is
said: "Er war ein Philologe zum Fuerchten. Er schrieb 40 Codices
eigenhaendig ab und liess keinen Fehler stehen" ('He was an astonishing
lover of texts. He copied 40 codices with his own hands and he did not
leave one single error'; quoted from memory; don't know where I read
it).

Good luck,
Thomas
(who has recently scanned in and proofed the 'Enseignements' from the
Lozinski edition but who does not know if webbing this text would be a
violation of copyright somewhere...)