SC - OT - Automated search problems

Mon Jul 19 11:03:10 PDT 1999

I have a wonderful search 'bot called Mata Hari that will
operate 140 search engines, and has a 'boolean-check' so it
is virtualy idiot proof, it sometimes can be slow, and when
it runs in the background slows things way up, but if you
really want to find something, let it out of the box[so to
speak] and go make dinner, and in 1 hour you can eat dinner
and check out the positive hits...
margali
[they now have an upgrade for it, but I haven't gotten it
yet.]

> Your physical problem is that the tools are designed to handle linear,
> structured, or parameterized data.  Your subject data, documents, are
> anything but.  Most of the currently available search engines use keywords
> for crude content searches.  Keyword searchs require massive indexing
> without any great consideration of context or meaning.  Boolean searches on
> keywords can improve your context hits, but most people don't think in
> Boolean terms, natural language doesn't parse to Boolean very well, and some
> of the more popular search engines may not support Boolean searches (I was
> cursed by one of these yesterday).

- --
To respond, take out the word "cuskynoles"