SC - more om Danish cookbook

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Jul 20 05:27:34 PDT 1999

"ana l. valdes" wrote:

> Notaker says when the manuscript went published, 1826, it was atribuited
> to Henrik Harpenstreng, dead in 1244. He writes: "Harpenstreng studied
> at different outlandish universities. He maybe found the book in his
> travels. The original has more certainly been a German translation of a
> French manuscript from the 12th-century, translated later to German and
> from German to Danish and Icelandic."
> Yours
> Ana

Grewe also specifically states that one of the manuscripts is in Low
German, as I recall, but his published work seems to contain the recipes
only in English. The foods themselves seem to suggest, as has been said,
a Mediterranean origin: lots of saffron, almonds, garlic, etc., and if I
remember correctly, Grewe suggests Harpenstreng may have acquired them
while in medical school in Provence. This might also help explain how
they became part of an Icelandic "medical miscellany".

On a tangential note, the references made to eggs being beaten or
whipped seem to be accurate -- we should bear in mind that the practice
of passing eggs through a strainer seems to be primarily [but not
exclusively, I suppose] English, while  these recipes pretty clearly aren't.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com