SC - MEDIEVAL RECIPES NEEDED

PoetNline@aol.com PoetNline at aol.com
Tue Jul 20 17:48:11 PDT 1999

Thanks Ana, David, Adamantius and Nanna for the information about the
Harpestraeng-text. The emerging picture seems to be:

There is a now lost original. There are (at least) three manuscripts
with texts that stem from this original: a (low) German, a Danish, an
Icelandic version. The nature of the recipes is mediterranean.

When I asked for the "german recipes" I was not so much concerned with
the nature of the recipes but with the language. The earliest cooking
recipes in German I know off are in the 'Buch von guter Speise' (around
1345-50). It would be interesting to see another early cookery text in
the original language, even if the nature of the recipes is
mediterranean. But it seems that there is not yet an edition of the
original texts.

I understand from the contributions that the Danish version is in
Copenhagen, the Icelandic version is in the Arni Magnússon Institute.

Where is the manuscript with the German version?

Cheers,
Thomas
PS: Recently I webbed
- -- the Rumpolt-section with the cow-recipes (with Martina Grasse; we are
working on the much longer calf-section now),
- -- the Hajek-text of the 'Buch von guter Speise' and
- -- some pages of a German translation of the 'Tacuin sanitatis' (from
Norbert Hoeller, Vienna).
See: http://www.uni-giessen.de/~g909 (option "Alte Kochbuecher")