SC - Grilled tuna redaction

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Jul 20 19:18:51 PDT 1999

I got around to testing the marinated-and-grilled part of the tuna recipes I
posted recently.  Here is the recipe again, for those who didn't keep it:

PARA COZER PEDAZOS DE ATUN EN CAZUELA, Y EN PARILLAS --
To Cook Pieces of Tuna in Casserole, and on the Grill
Source: Libro Del Arte De Cozina (Spanish, 1599)
Translation: Mine

Take the pieces of tuna cleaned of their skin, and put them in marinade
for two hours, made of vinegar, white wine, boiled wine, ground pepper,
and a crushed clove of garlic, and salt, and put in pieces as thick as two
fingers, no more, and each one of six pounds, in a tart pan or a
casserole, in which there is oil from sweet olives, and cook them like
tarts with fire beneath and on top, and when they are half cooked add a
little of the marinade they were in, and when they are cooked, serve it
with your little flavor (saborcillo?) on top.  The pieces which are
roasted on the grill are of the same size and thickness, and are
powdered with salt, the best of fennel, and pepper, and are put in a
vessel, in which there is oil, and after being in the oil for an hour they are
removed, and roasted on the grill in the same manner as pike, and then
serve them hot with the same sauce as pike.

You can also roast on the grill those pieces which were in marinade,
serving them hot with the same marinade.

- - - -

I went to the liquor store and bought two inexpensive Spanish wines: a
dry white and a not-dry, fruity red.  I boiled the latter in my microwave in
a glass measuring cup, until it was reduced by half.  I then made the
following marinade:

1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup boiled red wine
2 cloves garlic, chopped (more than the recipe calls for, but I like garlic)
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
several vigorous shakes of salt

I marinated a yellowfin tuna steak in this mixture for two hours in the
refrigerator.  I then grilled it until slightly pink in the center.

Comments: the wine and garlic flavors were very subtle.  Since period
cooks undoubtedly marinated their fish at somewhat warmer
temperatures than are found in my fridge, next time I might try a longer
marinating period, to see if that produces a stronger flavor.  I also did
not serve the grilled fish with hot marinade as a sauce, not knowing how
much heating of the marinade might be needed to make the marinade
safe.  Next time I think I will make some extra marinade for sauce and
keep it separate from the the raw fish.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)