SC - OT [Fwd: [OST] Medieval weddings]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 21 08:19:52 PDT 1999

Rhi wrote:

>Hi folks -- I'm converting a recipe from metric to US measurements for a
>newsletter I produce. One of the listed items is "150g fresh cream." My
>best attempt at converting that to a US measurement is 1/3 cup. Could
>anyone tell me if I'm close to the mark or way off of it?

Since I have some cream around, and pretty accurate metric scales, I can
report that 150 grams of whipping cream is almost exactly 150 milliliters
(or, 1 1/2 deciliters), which would be scant 2/3 cups.

While it is quite correct that European cooks tend to measure dry
ingredients by weight rather than volume, liquid ingredients are usually
measured by volume and I confess I wouldn´t know offhand how much 150 grams
of cream really is. I suspect this is a British recipe - they haven´t quite
got the hang of the metric system yet.

Nanna