SC - OT

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Wed Jul 21 08:29:01 PDT 1999

Nanna
I fell I have to defend my countries rather eccentric measuring practice.
Wile I was at school I was taught the metric system, weights, volumes,
distance the lot.  However I was taught to cook by my mother who was taught
the old imperial system.  Most of our recipes are written in the imperial
measurements.  The result of this is a thoroughly confused generation of
people who were educated in metric but grew up with imperial.  I don't know
that this situation is going to improve since I order good by the
once/pound/stone etc.  It is true that the government has decreed that all
our fruit and fresh unpackaged produce should be sold by the kilo.  However
I have not yet heard anyone asking for so many grams of cheese, it is still
done in pounds even though it is priced and sold in grams!
Rachel