SC - A weird conversion.....Now OT

Wed Jul 21 12:23:01 PDT 1999

- -Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

I'd have to agree with this one too.  I was raised in Britain and was taught inches,
feet, yards, miles, pounds, ounces, etc. But, I did have the advantage of having to
learn and use metric measurements in my nurse training over there.

Outside of the medical context, I still remain confused about the application of
metric measurements to everyday things.

This little rhyme,

"two and a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram"

was on a British Cooking show some time ago in an attempt to help people with
such conversions. Also cookery books over there often times have both sets of
measurements listed for each ingredient.

I think the problem is that Brits haven't yet made the mind shift to the metric
system, and are functioning largely in the old system while, as stated in earlier posts,
the "official" measurement is now Metric.  It's odd.  We did so much better
with the switch from the old (Pounds, shillings, and pence) to the new (decimal)
currency in the '70s!

Elysant
BTW Now I'm in the US, and I have to deal with yet other measurement system (cups,
teaspoons, etc)...  <sigh>  ;-)