OT Silliness Re: SC - introduction

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Fri Jul 23 01:54:46 PDT 1999

	Icelandic Chicken (Mediterranean, 13th c.?)
	Icelandic p. 218/D1 (GOOD)
	From Cariadoc's Miscellany, Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,
1990, 1992.
	One shall cut a young chicken in two and wrap about it whole
leaves of salvia, and cut up in it bacon and add salt to suit the taste.
Then cover that with dough and bake like bread in the oven.
	5 c flour
	1/2 lb bacon
	3 T dried sage (or sufficient fresh sage leaves to cover)
	about 1 3/4 c water
	3 lb chicken, cut in half
	Make a stiff dough by kneading together flour and water. Roll it
out. Cover the dough with sage leaves and the sage leaves with strips of
bacon. Wrap each half chicken in the dough, sealing it. You now have two
packages which contain, starting at the outside, dough, sage, bacon,
chicken. Put them in the oven and bake like bread (325deg. for 2 hours).
We find the bacon adds salt enough.
	The part of the bread at the bottom is particularly good, because
of the bacon fat and chicken fat. You may want to turn the loaves once or
twice, or baste the top with the drippings.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com