SC - request for info

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 15:06:11 PDT 1999

Greetings list,

I've been lurking for a while and figure it's about time I introduce myself.

I've only recently been intrigued with authentic cookery (the last couple of
years or so) as my experience is mostly in textiles and dance. I've done some
redactions and lead a couple of workshops. I'm still learning and the list has
been a wonderful (and often amusing) place to learn new things.

My apprentices and I are in the enviable (and somewhat daunting) position of
creating a new annual event out of whole cloth. Our barony has decided to move
its annual end of the year holiday event from Yule (in December) to 12th Night
(in January). December is a horrible month to try to find an event site in this
area but January is wide open. I've been holding a dessert and dance revel as a
12th Night alternative in January for the past seven years just so everyone will
have it lodged in their heads. Now the time has come for that little event to
become a big one.

I'm asking for help designing a menu as well as with other feast related
activities such as number of courses, seasonality of foods, serving, etc. In
general, this event is mostly a feast with a baronial court at some point but
there might be some combat but I'm hoping there won't. In this case, the food
can be the highlight and showcase of the event. I'm hoping to begin the feast
around noon with courses of dishes being spread out over a period of time. In
between and during courses will be various entertainments. A lighter repast
(possibly some of the same dishes from earlier) will be made available later in
the evening.

This is a one day event with maybe as many as 80 people attending (lest you
think that's a small event, here in the barony of Eskalya [Anchorage, AK] that's
quite a crowd - that's more than half of the SCA membership in Alaska). There's
no "theme" to this event but European late medieval to 1500 or so would be
appropriate for the food.

We'd love to see what's worked for all of you and what suggestions you offer.
Between myself and my apprentices we have large numbers of resources at our
disposal (Cariadoc's redacted recipes, Take a Thousand Eggs, Elinor Fettiplace,
etc) so if your suggestions are located within those books, just let us know
which ones and we can look them up.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL