SC - Elinor Fettiplace's Jam Recipe

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sun Jul 25 11:46:30 PDT 1999

In my opinion, I do not think that the way our feasts are served within a
short amount of time, with several dishes out at once, all to wrap up after
court and before dancing, constitutes a period method of service.  I have
seen documentation of feasts as events lasting over the course of days, not
merely hours, and even seen mention of service during hours of light,
finishing before dark.  I have not found documentation for what I have
experienced in the SCA here in this kingdom, with Friday night "traveler's"
fare, 2 breakfasts, possibly Saturday fundraiser lunch, and a wham bam all
out on the tables in 2 hours flat feast, which can sometimes commence at
9pm.  I have no doubt that many people, myself included have produced SCA
feasts with highly enjoyable food, all from redactions of documentable
period recipes.  But I think that to produce a truly medieval kitchen and
dining experience takes more than documentable recipes and the usual two
hour or so time slot.  If you have documentation for this type of feast
experience, I would be most interested in it.  However, from what I have
read so far (which is by no means everything out there), I have seen a
pretty huge gap between what we produce as a feast experience in the SCA and
what occured in the middle ages.

Rhiannon Cathaoir-mor