SC - 12th Night event ideas

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 26 04:49:47 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> For my dish, I made the boiled garlic recipe given here a while back,
> Aquapatys. The original message was by Bear and the redaction given was
> from Sass. It went over well and I had several compliments on the dish.
>
> About the only change I made was to sprinkle them with ground dill seed
> and garlic salt instead of garnishing with fresh parsley, which I
> didn't have. Next time, I plan to try the Powder Forte mix I got from
> the Pepper's Guild instead of the spices given.

Cool! The original dish, BTW, uses no separate garnish on top. Sass's
suggested use of parsley was presumably her own idea; if you're going to
do that your idea is as good as hers. If I were going to be critical of
less-than-period practice (and I'm not) I'd have to say you were in
fairly good company.

> Does anyone know which medieval cookbook this is from? Apicius, perhaps?

Forme of Cury, #77. And yes, the Latin-sounding name might easily
suggest otherwise; it has a dignity on the tongue a lot of 14th-century
English food names seem to lack. "Whaddayamean, More Trews? I'm wearin'
a tunic and hosen!"

All right, I'm sorry. It's early and the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com