SC - Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:21:06 -0500

Wajdi a14h at zebra.net
Tue Jul 27 20:21:21 PDT 1999

- -Poster: Elysant <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>Well, no, they called themselves "norrænir", not Norse, since they weren´t
>English.

The word "norraenir" sounds much like "northerner" to me Nanna.  We in Britain
would call that of an English person who comes from the north of England  We
wouldn't use it for a Norseman.

I was always taught that Norseman = Vikings, and we know that they didn't come
to us from Sweden.  I'm not so sure though that a clear distinction between
Norwegian and Danish Vikings in that basic description though, at least not the
way I was introduced to it in school and at home in Britain (of course then you
learn more about it and you know there's a difference).

Also we call very light whitish blonde hair "Nordic Blonde".  This "Nordic"
descriptor seems to refer to be a general one alluding to any of the Scandinavian countries,
as there is a higher percentage of people with hair that colour there.

Elysant
And we don't have a fish soup in Wales. :-)