SC - Big birds on the medieval plate

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 28 11:13:34 PDT 1999

The writer says <<Have you ever wondered why your honey and syrup doesn't
spoil?  You do leave it out at room temperature from months and bacteria
love to eat sugar just like we do......>>

Info from a beekeeper's journal my husband & I subscribe to.  If your honey
crystallizes, the liquidy part on top could spoil because there is always
some water in honey and when the sugar crystalizes out, the liquidy part is
low enough % that it can ferment.  Of course the other wonderful thing
about this is it's another possible way for primitive humans to learn about
the joys of alcoholic fermentation.

Crystalized honey can be reliquified by immersing the (preferably closed)
jar in not-yet-boiling water until all traces of the crystals are
dissolved.  Keep heat low & short if at all possible because volatile
fragrances will be broken down by heat.  (That's why mass-marketed honey
doesn't taste as floral as honey from local beekeepers--the mass-market
ones are usually heat-filtered.)

Emme