SC - Re: Private: Pennsic diseases

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Jul 28 12:26:29 PDT 1999

>And it came to pass on 30 Jun 99,, that david friedman wrote:
>
> > >Brighid, wondering if it would be feasible to bring her sourdough
>starter
> > >to Pennsic
> >
> > Why not? I've brought mine.
>
>No reason other than my ignorance.  Normally, I keep it in a crock in
>the fridge, except when I'm feeding it or making a batch of bread.  I have
>no idea how to keep it alive and under control under field conditions for a
>week.  Obviously, it can be done, but I'm fuzzy on the specifics.

I'm behind, and I don't see any specific instructions for you.  I say, take
HALF your liquid starter, leaving half safely at home in case you do manage
to kill it or something).  Keep it as cool as possible, feed it more often
because it will be warmer.  If it spills over the top, so what? Clean it up
and keep going.   (Oh, so what as in it will make a mess in the car.  Well,
whatever container you have it in, put that into another container.  Leaving
plenty of headroom in the first and hoping any accidents will be contained
by the second.

How bad can it be?

Bonne