SC - Big birds on the medieval plate

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Wed Jul 28 15:29:04 PDT 1999

Ras wrote:
<< However, SCA-cooking is not confined to medieval cooking. (...) >>

I only meant to point out that it is difficult to use the 4th century
Apicius-collection as a 'medieval' source (medieval faires etc.). As a
humble servant in the vineyard of the _texts_ I certainly did not mean
to speak about the noble art of SCA-cooking. I apologize.

You mentioned a Kitab al-Tabikh in a Manuscript 'Oriental 5000' of the
British library.

Is it edited and/or translated somewhere?

Besides the Kitab al-Tabikh that Arberry used for his translation in
'Islamic Culture' 1939, he mentions another one in the Bodleian Library
in Oxford (Hunt 187): Kitab al-Tabikh by Abu Muhammad al-Muzaffar b.
Nasr ibn Saiyar al Warraq. Arberry says: "I hope to show in a
forthcoming paper that this work which is of the greatest interest, was
written some time during the 4/10th century, by a writer who had access
to the actual recipe-book of the Abbasid Caliphs" (p. 30 note 5).

Where, if ever, did this paper appear?
[Grewe, 'Hispano-arabic cuisine', mentions an edition by Oehrnberg and
Mroueh, Helsinki 1987; not seen]

And what about the arabic cookery texts in the manuscripts Gotha
1344-46, Arberry mentions in his note 1?

Is there a good article/book about Arab culinary documents?

So many questions. Be patient with me.

Thomas