SC - Polish spice question

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Thu Jul 29 03:13:19 PDT 1999

Margherita
Now we come to the difficulty.  Being born a Virgo I am just a bit on the
picky side.  I like to see things done properly.  My embroidery is all hand
done and if not exact usually ends up not being finished.  Many of you would
have heard of Kentwell, well I went there this year eager for such a
spectacle of authentic recreation as you can expect to find.  The price to
get is certainly reflected what I hoped to find.  Alas it was dreadful.  The
costumes were for the most part sloppy, I did spot one or two wonderful
examples.  But I spotted hoods held on with elastic, very period!  Now I
apologise if the next observation offends anyone but there were also ethnic
groups not commonly associated with 1520 English gentry.  This was billed as
Authentic and it was not.  I cannot express how disappointed I was.  Does
the SCA advertise itself as authentic, if not then I probably won't have too
much of a problem with it.  It is for these reasons that I fell that I will
not fit in!
Elizabeth
Oh and if interested some of my work can be seen at:
http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/witchwood/index.html
All copyright details should be 1999, and that's under UK law so no
pilfering without asking!
Of course I'm sure that being such courteous people you wouldn't dream of
doing so!