SC - SCA in England

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 31 11:27:51 PDT 1999

RACHEL.HOLLIDAY at roche.com writes:
<< Many of you would
have heard of Kentwell, well I went there this year eager for such a
spectacle of authentic recreation as you can expect to find.  The price to
get is certainly reflected what I hoped to find.  Alas it was dreadful.  The
costumes were for the most part sloppy, I did spot one or two wonderful
examples. >>

If we are speaking of the Kentwell Hall in England, then it does look
like the authenicity may be less than consistant. There was a story
given here on this list that gave some information from behind the
scenes at Kentwell. For the most part, I thought they did pretty good
from what I read in that message. I've saved that message, or series
of messages as this file in the FEAST section of my Florilegium:

Kentwell-Hall-art (25K)  6/25/98    A period kitchen at a Living History site.

<< This was billed as Authentic and it was not.  I cannot express how
disappointed I was.  Does the SCA advertise itself as authentic, if not then
I probably won't have too
 much of a problem with it.  It is for these reasons that I fell that I will
 not fit in! >>

I think Brangwayna Morgan gave a good answer to this statement.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****