SC - Jams and jellies

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 11:29:16 PDT 1999

In a message dated 06/28/1999 7:39:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
LadyAletha at aol.com writes:

<< While looking through Eleanor Fettiplace's Cookbook I ran into an
interesting
 and unusual way of making jam, involving a sugar syrup cooked until it
 candies, onto which the fruit pulp is pored.  I said neat, filed the idea
 away, returned the book to the library--
 and now, of course, as I scramble do Strawberry jam before the end of the
 season, I can find neither a similar recipie in any other source I can get
my
 hands on, nor a copy of the Fettiplace book.  Has anyone tried this with
 strawberries, do you know the proportions of sugar:water:fruit, or at least
 could some kind soul post the text?

I have made this jam, tho not with strawberries.  I call it scary jam, 'cause
when the sugar sets hard it is truly frightening.  The juices from the fruit
re-melts the sugar and the jam is heavenly!

I don't know the recipe off the top of my head but I'll try to post it in a
day or so.

Renata