SC - "cabelho" fish recipe?

ana l. valdes agora at algonet.se
Fri Jul 2 03:12:33 PDT 1999

I am not an expert, but I am raised in Uruguay, South America, and in my
catholic family, with portuguise, spanish and italian ancestors, was
natural to eat cabelho or "bacalao" every Friday during Lend.
The recipe we used at home was the following:

1 kilo dried fish, cod, called also cabelho or bacalao
Tomatoes
Chickpeas
Onions
Oil (olive)
Egg
Barsley
Bayleaves
Pepper and salt

Let the fish soaked in water one day
Dry the excess of water, rinse and pat with some paper
In a pan fry the tomatoes and the onions in olive oil
Put the fish in a pot and add the mixture you got from the pan
If the chickpeas are "natural", you must cook them for some hours before
you add them to the pot
If not, the best is to buy a can with precooked chickpeas
You got now in the pot the fish, the tomatoes, onions and chickpeas.
Add water (not much)
A can with passed tomatoes and tomatojuice
Barsley
Bayleaves
Add salt and pepper
Let it boil during two hours with slow flame
When the casserole is almost ready, add the eggs

The bacalao can serves with rice or potatoes

Excuse my poor english, I tried to translated my grandmothers recipe
from 1935

Greetings
Ana L. Valdés

Stefan li Rous skrev:

> Ana L. Valdés said:
> > Look for the Spanish recipes. Spain and Portugal were part of the same
> > kingdom during several centuries. Their kitchen (most influated by the
> > arabs) are mingled. But the portuguise were the first nation in using
> > spices they found in Madagascar and Macao. Their recipes about the dried
> > fish named "cabelho" are also unique.
>
> This "cabelho" sounds interesting. Do you have the recipe? Have you
> made this?
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan
>
> Who found a wonderful snack at his HEB Central Market store. Smoked,
> salted fish. Wonderful just to munch on. I don't know if it was smoked
> or salted enough to last without refrigeration.
> --
> Lord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
> Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
> **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
>          http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****

- --