SC - A midsummer feast - Groundhog day next...

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Fri Jul 2 04:03:22 PDT 1999

	Folks,

	I haven't had time to work on any of my web pages - but I thought,
given that you all had so much input on the menu - I'd let you know how the
midsummer feast went.

	To put it succintly - AMAZING!! We had two bloopers - the carefully
chopped bowl of spring onion garnish for the lemon sauce for the asparagus
went flying across the kitchen - effectively bringing all procedding to a
halt as we cleaned up, and we forgot to garnish the dishes with the cherry
tomatoes - net effect that I shall be eating tomatoes for weeks and will
also be making lots of ketchup!(ras - you had a good recipe somewhere? )

	But on a scale of one to ten, they are both majorly minor bloopers,
we started eating at 7.30 and finished eating at 12.45; the first guests
started rolling for home at about 1.30 the food was voted excellent , with
the tarte de brye the most popular ( incautious guest had seconds...and
regretted it later.....). We even managed to cater the entire feast with a
split menu to handle a severe lactose intolerance - soya versions of
everything except the brie tart.

	The 'drinks' game was an amzing success - most people made a real
effort to match their drinks to the  dishes they were alloted and we had a
great variety including non-alcoholic fruit smoothies, and a properly ice
dripped through sugar cube absinthe.

	I can also recommend having a well behaved greyhound stashed under
the table - it's great for mopping up left overs!

	One major change/decision  that came out of it all though - I want a
new kitchen - a ten foot by eight foot kitchen is just not big enough to
really let rip; no matter how ingenious we are with ceiling height
storage.....

	My co-chef who has only just got 'into' cooking , is really
enthusiastic and she;'s already planning the next one...unfortunately I have
not yet won her round to medieval cookery, but I will . The next one is
themed "Groundhog day" (lisa's choice) - so we are planning to concentrate
on American Pioneer cookery....
	something I have never really studied before (also  i'm dragging
lisa back through time slowly.....) , so any hints and tips are very
welcome. BTW are there any specific foods associated with Groundhog day?

	karin