SC - salmon recipe?

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 07:51:37 PDT 1999

- --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> Jean Luc said:
> > My wife and I usually soak our meat and yes salmon in Teriaki Sauce
> over
> > night after slicing thin. Then we cheat a little and put it into a
> > dehydrator after about 24 hours you have dried meat and fish.
> Teriaki
> > style.
>
> Thank you for this recipe. This sounds interesting and well-timed. My
> local HEB has fresh, maybe previously frozen, salmon fillets on for
> $3.49 per pound. I've not cooked salmon before, but I ought to buy
> some at this price and try your recipe in our dehydrator.
>
> Do you slice across the fish? Do you do this with refrigerated fish
> or need to chill, but not freeze it, some it some first?
>
> With the Teriaki sauce it won't be period, but it is a start.

Jean Luc: Thank you for the suggestion; actually, in my one attempt
thus far, that is exactly what I did -- sliced a hunk of salmon ~1/4"
thick across the grain, and marinated it in teriaki for almost 24
hours, then dried on a cooling rack set in a cookie sheet in the oven
for about 12 hours.  It was okay, but I thought it was too salty for my
taste, and would marinate it less time next time (like a few hours, or,
say, overnight :-) ) though it went over well enough with a bunch of
guys at a picnic who first first said "salmon WHAT?" and then "hey --
you know, that's not bad" and then "got any more?".

Stefan, I sliced the salmon on a meat slicer while it was mostly
frozen.  This was a tip I got from the National Food Safety Database
pages on drying and jerky, which gives a LOT of explanation of drying
and tells you how to do it in the oven if you don't have a dehydrator
(though I must admit, it is a pain to try to keep your oven at around
140 degrees F and stick a fan across the cracked-open door -- where do
I get a cheap dehydrator??).  The web address is
http://www.foodsafety.org/dryingfd.htm

(I know, Ras, not everyone who has email has web access, but this is
dozens or hundreds of pages of really good info -- anyone who can't
access it can email me privately and I'll try to cull out a reasonable
amount for specific questions.)

- -- Harriet

Stefan -- what is your local HEB?  Just curious, since those are my
initials :-) !