Huevos con salsa- was Re: SC - Turkish Breakfast - OOP

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Jul 6 07:25:08 PDT 1999

Bear said:

>Most of the true New Mexican dishes (Indian/Hispanic) of this style have
the
vegetables and the meats cooked separately and combined at serving.  The
meats are commonly cooked with the spices and peppers for seasoning (I
suspect tomatoes are often added to the meat to let the acid tenderize it).
The vegetables are usually bland.<

You're absolutely right, Bear, as near as I can determine. Modern Mexican
cooking, particularly mestizo cooking, usually has the meal itself fairly
bland, with salsas of varying heats and flavors to be added at table- I tend
to suspect this is a hangover from pre-colonial days, but have no absolute
evidence for it.

Anybody else have some insight or some references?

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig