South Western dishes was Re: SC - Huevos con salsa-

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at swcp.com
Tue Jul 6 11:53:12 PDT 1999

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:
> 	    As weird as this sounds (maybe not?), I just wonder if anyone
>             else had heard anything about this.  I know blue tortillas are
> 	    available in stores sometimes, as well as the nacho chips, but
> 	    they're made of blue corn and are not the same as the ones

I have had the opportunity to watch a number of Indian (Hopi?) ladies
making "blue corn tortillas". They were very different from the usual
store bought tortilla, but were indeed made from blue corn. The technique
was very similar to that used to make Morrocan flat bread sheet (the name
of which I can't remember and generally substitute filo for). The ladies
made a soupy dough, or perhaps a very thick batter which they spread
quickly in a very thin layer with their fingers on a very hot rock. After
a few seconds they would peel off the papery thin 12" disk, roll it up and
hand it to you. They would sometimes layer 3-4 to wrap around a filling.
The initial papery texture would melt in your mouth. Yum...

Mirhaxa
  mirhaxa at morktorn.com