SC - horsemeat was "cruel food"- long response.

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 13:43:22 PDT 1999

Thanks for the insight into animal preparation, Phlip.  From now on I will
salt my chicken!  As for Wendy's serving horse...wouldn't they have to say so?
Phillipa
<<
 Chickens are slaughtered and prepared for the market in a most unhealthy
 manner, so I always take them and soak them in a salt water solution for
 half an hour or so before cooking- it improves the flavor immensely. Anybody
 out there who likes chicken, but is the least bit squeamish, shouls NEVER go
 to a chicken slaughtering facility- you will NOT like what you see from
 either a sanitation or a slaughtering poiint of view.

 Horses are slaughtered for food far more frequently in the US than most
 people realize. If you've ever eaten at a fast food restaurant, you've
 likely eaten horse meat- that was the real idea behind Wendy's "Where's the
 BEEF" promotion a few years back. This makes sense because there are a lot
 of older or injured horses out there that need to be dealt with. I'd rather
 see them eaten than simply left to suffer and pushed into a hole in the
 ground when they die. Older horses are preferred because their meat is darke
 r, appearing more like beef.

 Dog and cat are frequently eaten in many places all over the world- I have
 no objection to this, as long as it's not MY dogs or cats on the menu ;-) I
 rather wish they WERE acceptable fare in the US, since there are so many
 homeless and suffering animals out there.