SC - Verjuice

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Jul 8 07:52:13 PDT 1999

>At 12:17 AM -0400 7/8/99, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
>>In a message dated 7/7/99 11:58:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>>swbro at mail.telis.org writes:
>>
>><< As the season for green grapes approaches, I would like to ask if anyone
>>has
>> a receipe for verjuice?  >>

There's this from Le Menagier de Paris (c. 1393):

"If you would have Verjuice at Christmas from your vine Arbor, when you see
the grape opening before it is in  flower, cut it off by the stem and the
third time let it grow till Christmas.  Master Jehan de Hautecourt says
that one ought to cut the stock below the grape and the other shoot beneath
will put out new grapes."  (The Goodman of Paris, tr. by E. Power, p. 300)

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"