SC - Re: Last Minute Details

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 12:55:51 PDT 1999

- --- Linda Peterson <mirhaxa at swcp.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Elise Fleming wrote:
> > Briefly, royal icing is runny.  Gum/sugar paste is not; neither is
> > fondant.  Both can be used to cover modern cakes but the results
> are
> > somewhat different.
> >
> > If you dip a knife into royal icing, you can let the icing drip
> off.
>
> The royal icing I'm familiar with has the texture of frosting to
> start and
> dries rock hard. The drippy stuff used for frosting petit fours I
> don't
> recall the name of. Am I lost in the ozone, or is this a cultural
> variation?
>
> Mirhaxa
>   mirhaxa at morktorn.com

The Royal Icing I use does contain egg white, and starts out tacky
enough to assemble gingerbread houses, and dries hard enough to hold
them together.  Although, the first time I tried it, I didn't know it
would firm up so much on drying, so I kept adding a bit more sugar
until it was REALLY thick -- and dried so hard we needed a chisel to
get the house apart!  A friend cut (well, tore) her finger on it!  Took
3 years before I attempted another house.

- -- Harriet